Saturday, April 10, 2010

90s Cartoons

For today's post I've decided to write about the first 5 kids cartoons I can remember when I think back to the Saturday mornings I spent watching cartoons. Now I know there was alot of really great cartoons from the 90s and everyone has their favourites but these are just the first 5 that spring to my mind when I remember back. So enjoy!


Rugrats


I'm sure everyone has seen an episode of the Rugrats at some point and it honestly was the first 90s cartoon that came to my mind. I loved watching the Rugrats when I was younger and I so wished I had been on some of the adventures that Tommy, Chuckie and the gang had been on.


The Rugrats first aired in 1991 on Nickelodeon and ran until the early noughties. It was a hugely popular cartoon and it even earned a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame! The original show was the best in my opinion, but it did spawn 2 different series and 3 successful films. Talk about a craze eh?




Here's the opening credits. I was singing them in my head before I even thought to upload the video! Sorry for the bad quality.










The Animaniacs

The Animaniacs was a variety style show starring the Warner siblings; Yakko, Wakko and Dot. It aired on the Kids Warner Bros channel from 1993 to 1995 and was a huge hit with kids everywhere. It actually spawned the next cartoon I'm going to write about, Pinky and the Brain, as each Animaniacs episode featured different, often slightly insane, characters with their own stories.


Here's the opening credits!












Pinky and the Brain

Pinky and the Brain is a spin off show from the Animaniacs about 2 lab mice who do the same thing every night; make plans for world domination.
Brain is a genius and Pinky is a bit of a bumbling, yet lovable, nuisance who wrecks Brains' plans every night.

The famous catchphrase is;

Pinky: What will we do tonight Brain?
Brain: The same thing we do every night Pinky..try to take over the world!









Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Ok so strictly speaking the TMNT started in the 80s but it was such a successful cartoon and I can vividly remember it from my childhood so I'm going to let this one slip!
The TMNT are 4 mutant, ninja turtles, from New York, named after famous Renaissance artists; Leonardo, Donotello, Michaelangelo and Raphael, and they are trained by a talking rat sensei. Still with me so far? Basically they're the good guys (heroes in a half shell- to be precise) and they fight the bad guys and save everyone. They're pretty awesome.














And last but not least... Biker Mice From Mars



Not many of my friends say they genuinely can remember this cartoon so that's why it's at the end of this post. It seems to have been forgotten, yet it was my favourite cartoon of the 90s. It seems I really had a thing for talking, cartoon animals eh?

It was released in 1993 and only had 3 short seasons but it was such a cool cartoon!

Basically, 3 cool-dude, biker mice called Throttle, Modo and Vinnie escaped from their home planet of Mars that was wiped out by the gross, weird Plutarkians who are hell bent on destroying Earth next. Anyway the biker mice land in Chicago on Earth and meet a female mechanic, conveniently named Charlene 'Charley' Davidson. The biker mice learn that Chicago's main businessman is a Plutarkian in disguise and so every episode the mice have to foil his evil plans, all while having some fun.

If that summary right there doesn't make ya wanna watch this cartoon then I just don't know what will :)






Well hope ya liked that!

No comments:

Post a Comment