Monday, March 15, 2010

90s Nostalgia...



Well the title of my blog pretty much speaks for itself really; this is a blog dedicated to that late, great decade - the 90s. The blog posts could probably be pretty cheesy at times but hopefully it'll put a smile on your face to read all about the last decade of the 20th century. I'm a 90s kid through and through and I love sitting with my friends and remembering all the old cartoons and games we had when we were younger. Things have changed so much since the 90s and in this blog I want to fondly remember everything that made the 90s great.

So just sit back, relax and take that trip down memory lane to a simpler time when mobile phones were the size of suitcases, when the Internet was only beginning and when silly phrases like 'Talk to the hand!' ran amok. Oh, remember the days...


For this very first post I've decided to write about just some of the toys that every kid or their sibling had in the 90s; mainly because when I think back to my own childhood I can distinctly remember all these games and toys that we played with as kids, as if it were only yesterday.


Remember how popular pogs were! :)


Pogs:



Ah pogs... Such a simple game that was loved by so many! These little discs kept us all entertained for hours and some people built up impressive collections. The game was simple yet entertaining, but for me and my friends, and many others, it was all about the designs on the pogs themselves and how many you had won from your own friends. Pogs rose in popularity at an incredible rate and then became old news just as quick. The game became very competitive amongst kids and eventually pogs were banned from many schools for being too distracting. It's amazing looking back that something so simple was so big in our lives. Personally, I don't think pogs would stand a chance in today's technological world. Shame.
Beanie Babies:




Much like the aforementioned pogs, these cute and cuddly, stuffed animals created a collecting frenzy in the early 90s that has lasted to this day. It seemed everyone, young and old, had a beanie baby or several. Although unlike the pogs that were collected by both boys and girls, beanie babies were mostly a girls toy. And some of the limited edition beanie babies can even fetch you a fair bit of money nowadays if found by an obsessive TY collector.

Pokémon Cards:

Don't worry, I'm not going to just cram Pokémon into this tiny little space in the first post and forget about it... Pokémon was HUGE! I just felt it really needed a mention here as a collectable toy along with pogs and beanie babies :)
As I already said, Pokémon was MASSIVE in the 90s. Thinking back Pokémon was a big portion of our childhood days. I remember watching the cartoon before school, trading Pokémon cards with friends at school and then watching more Pokémon cartoons after school. And there wasn't just cards to collect, you could collect actual Pokéballs too and pretend you were actually Ash, a Pokémon trainer, from the shows - very cool. There were Pokémon games too and everyone went crazy for them. I still have friends who are now 19 and 20 who still play Pokéon on their Nintendo Gameboy. It was the biggest craze of the 90s and I imagine everyone would agree with me on that one. But I'll write more about Pokémon in a later post, it needs its own post!



And now I think its time for abit of promotion :)




There's a 90s Night next week (Wednesday 24th March) in the Button Factory on Curve Street in Temple Bar in Dublin and it looks to be a great night out with great student drinks promos and free stuff like glow sticks and hats and sunglasses. It's over 18s and entry is €8 or €6 if you find a flyer round the city somewhere!!!
I heard about it on Facebook and it looks like it'll be a really fun night!
Ok well that's all for the first post, I'll be back soon with more memories from the 90s!

No comments:

Post a Comment